Clissold Park User Group (CPUG)

The Clissold Park User Group (CPUG) is a local community group for the people of Stoke Newington in Hackney who appreciate and love their local park.

The group has been campaigning locally for over 20 years and seeks to represent the interests of everyone who uses this very popular park: the walkers, joggers, cyclists, nature lovers, families and free spirits who value the opportunity to enjoy time outdoors in this beautiful and historic space.
» Read more about CPUG
» For general enquiries email info@clissoldpark.com

Park history: Clissold Park for the people

Joseph Beck

Joseph Beck

Clissold Park would have been built on in the 1880s if it wasn’t for a passionate local campaign to preserve it for the public. CPUG has been given access to an extensive treasure trove of press clippings, letters and maps kept for 127 years by the family of the chief campaigner, Joseph Beck.

We will be developing the Park history section of this website to include some of this collection.

We have started with a summary of the campaign and a wonderful reading, by Joseph Beck’s great grandson, of Joseph Beck’s 1888 letter to the Weekly Recorder once the park had successfully been saved by The Clissold Park Preservation Committee.
» Read Clissold Park for the people
» View a historical slideshow of Clissold Park
» Visit www.savingclissoldpark.com and read about the history of saving clissold park (1884-1889)

Latest news…

» Read our latest News

Clissold Park mapPocket map and park timeline on sale in the Cafe

Our new beautiful pocket map of the park is now on sale in the café for £2.50.

As well as identifying all the landmarks in the park, the map includes the history of the park and Clissold House, a tree trail and help in identifying the wild water birds on the ponds and New River.

It has been created by the Clissold Park User Group working with local artist Anna Hymas and local historian Amir Dotan with support from Hackney Council. All proceeds from the sale of the map will go to the user group to help pay for amenities and free events in the park.

Friday 15- Sunday 17 September: Clissold Park Craft Beer & Street Food Festival

A street food court featuring a variety of ready-to-eat offers as well as speciality drinks, groceries and craft stalls.
There will also be a live music stage and a bar area offering the best of British and International craft beers and ales as well as rides for the children.
» Visit the Clissold Park Craft Beer & Street Food Festival Facebook page

Clissold Park biodiversity report

This report looks at the importance of Clissold Park for nature conservation. The park has three million visitors a year and a rich biodiversity that needs to be preserved.
The report looks at the management of the park in relation to Hackney’s Biodiversity Action Plan. It looks at all areas of the park including:
Grassland areas and the deer enclosure / Wildflower areas / Tree and shrub planting / The woodland track / Ornamental flower and shrub beds / Water habitats /Butterfly dome and Bowling Green / Invasive species.
» Read the Clissold Park biodiversity report (Word)

Money raised for 4 new trees

Arthur and Christine Disney

Arthur and Christine Disney

Thanks to all who contributed to fundraising for new trees in memory of Arthur and Christine Disney, late of Queen Elizabeth’s Walk, who worked tirelessly for the protection and care of the trees in the park.
Over £800 was raised (including £100 contribution from CPUG).
Four new trees have now been planted:  one red beech tree to the right of the QEW gate into the park; two different sorts of Oak, one along side the lakes, the other on the park side of the QEW ‘avenue’; and a beech over on the Church Street side.
» Find out more about Arthur and Christine on JustGiving

Fundraising and park improvements

Using information from the Annual survey, CPUG and the park management have identified four areas that park users would like investment in:

  1. The replacement of the drinking fountain outside the Lodge at the Green Lanes gate
  2. Installation of some new baby swings in the playground
  3. Installation of fixed fitness equipment (probably down by the multi-use games area)
  4. Creating a new beginners wheels area for younger children near the skatepark

The Council does not have sufficient funds for these. We will keep you posted about our fundraising plans but please do let us know if you are interested in helping.
email: info@clissoldpark.com